“Missouri Ann ate her bit of orange slowly. “Tastes like summer,” she said.” Sandra Dallas
In the heart of winter, this colorful trifle will awaken your palate with its bright citrus flavors and the bite of ginger. As far as trifles go, this one is pretty healthy. The creamy layers are made with Greek yogurt and mascarpone cheese, flavored with orange zest and sweetened with a mere soupçon of honey. The ladyfingers are dipped in the juice of the fruit. Ginger adds a nice spicy contrast to the citrus while boasting great anti inflammatory properties. It is a stunningly beautiful dessert that is good for you too. I served it at a brunch where it received rave reviews. Dig in!
Ginger Citrus Trifle with Honey Yogurt Cream
Adapted from Parade Magazine
- 1 8-once container of mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 7-once containers of 2% plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated orange zest
- 4 large Navel oranges(I used 2 Navel and 2 blood oranges)
- 3 pink grapefruits
- 24-40 soft ladyfinger cookies(depending on the size of your trifle dish)
- 3 onces of crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- Beat the mascarpone cheese with the yogurt, honey and zest until smooth and fluffy.
- Cuts segments from the oranges and the grapefuit: slice the ends off the fruit so it sits flat on a cutting board. Slice off the peel and pith in long, vertical strips, following the curve of the fruit. Then working over a bowl, cut between the membranes to release the segments. Before discarding the membranes, squeeze them and collect the juices.
- Dip both sides of a third of the ladyfingers in the citrus juice. Let any excess drip off. You don’t want the cookies soggy. Arrange the cookies in the bottom of your trifle dish, breaking some as needed to fit in all spaces.
- Spread one third of the cheese mixture over the cookies. I found it easiest to scoop it out in 5 dollops, 4 along the sides and 1 in the middle, then spread gently with a spatula as best as possible.
- Sprinkle one third of the ginger over the cheese then arrange one third of the citrus on top of the ginger, alternating the grapefuit with the orange.
- Repeat two more times. For the final layer, place the ginger over the fruit.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.