“The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini. Minutes after you plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more zucchinis erupt.” Dave Barry
Does adding Snickers candy to zucchini negate the health benefits of zucchini? I know, I know, it’s debatable but it makes for a pretty awesome cookie! We are, after all, talking about cookies here. The Snicker’s chocolate, caramel, nougat and peanuts is so well suited to a cookie, adding such terrific flavors. The caramel and nougat just melt into the cookie dough. Oh, so good! The added zucchini keeps this easy drop cookie moist and chewy. The nutritiously rich walnuts, chia and flax seeds are a healthy boost of fiber, good oils and crunchy texture. These cookies just vanished, they were so irresistible! And they’ll get you to use up some of that zucchini in the most decadent way!
Snickers Zucchini Cookies
- 1 large egg
½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups grated zucchini, water squeezed out, yielding 1 cup net
- 1 cup chopped walnut pieces
- 3 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 Snickers chocolate bars, 1.8 once size, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the chopped chocolate and chopped Snickers with the walnuts and toss with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the flour to keep them from clumping together. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, chia seeds, flax seeds and spices together in a small bowl.
- Cream the butter with the egg. Add the vanilla, brown sugar and honey and mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients gradually until just blended.
- Using a wooden spoon, fold in the zucchini. Then incorporate the chocolate-Snickers-walnut mixture into the cookie dough just until blended.
- Drop by spoonful onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. You should get 25 cookies. Bake at 350°, 10 to 15 minutes. The cookies can be frozen.
Don’t you just love how versatile zucchini is? My friend Nancy over at Good Food Matters makes a wonderful faux crab cake with zucchini, and now your wonderful cookies.
These look so terrific and chewy and moist with my favorite the Snicker Bar all mushed into the mix. I hope you are having a happy summer Johanne. Best, T
I was just thinking of Nancy and how I hadn’t received a post in so long. I thought she had stopped blogging. I will have to track her blog down. I like the sound of that crab cake. Wee bit healthier than my cookies! Hope you are enjoying your summer Teresa. I am back from all my travels.
Oh those healthy green bits in that cookie? I love the idea. there’s no telling how many I’d tuck away in my pockets when nobody was looking 🙂 What a brilliant idea and oh how I love snickers. Did you notice that Mars bars are hard to find here in the USA? I usually treat myself when I go to Canada or England…..just one to bring back those warm memories when I never bothered with my waistline. Have a good weekend Johanne 🙂
Milky Way is the equivalent of the Mars bar in the US A, I believe. My husband works for Mars, Inc so we have a lot of temptation around here. 😱 When are you coming to Chanticleer Loretta? I may have some Snickers to entice you!!
But Milky Way has no nuts, and I love nuts in my chocolate 🙂 I have not been working at Goodstay for the summer months because of the harsh sun, so I hope they haven’t been planning a trip there in my absence, will have to check it out. Maybe as the weather gets cooler, I’ll come up for the snickers and Chanticleer :))
Oh wow, I just didn’t know what to think when I saw the title of the recipe! But you, I trust! 🙂
LOL. It’s all about the Snickers really! If you make the cookies for your Octogenarians, don’t tell them there’s zucchini in them!!!
Sent from my iPhone
Everything is better with a Snickers! I have made zucchini white chocolate cookies and they were great, but these sound so much better! Love the addition of chia and flax too~
Everything IS better with Snickers Jenna. The chia and flax were in there to compensate for the Snickers! LOL!
Sent from my iPhone