This rich chocolate cake is almost too good to believe. With just 3 ingredients which come together in a few minutes, it is decadent and very satisfying with a texture reminiscent of a dense chocolate mousse. Baking the cake in a water bath helps keep it moist. Recently made for a friend’s birthday, it elicited moans of delight around the table. The type of chocolate used can change the flavor of the cake. Who knew Chocolate + butter + eggs = BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER? I served mine with a dusting of powdered sugar and fresh raspberries but you could substitute strawberries, or other fruit.
Decadent 3-Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 lb of semi sweet or bittersweet dark chocolate
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- powdered sugar and fresh raspberries for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 325F and adjust the rack to the bottom third.
- Prepare an 8″ springform pan: line the bottom with some parchment, cut to size. Generously butter the sides of the pan. Wrap the pan in 2 sheets of foil. Set the pan in a larger, oven-safe dish that will hold enough boiling water to go up half way the sides of the pan.
- Set a kettle of water to boil.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in either a Bain Marie or in a glass dish in the microwave. Stir frequently. You want the chocolate to just melt. Be careful to not overheat the chocolate.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs at high speed in a stand up mixer with a whisk attachment until they have doubled in volume and are thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chocolate to the eggs in thirds, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the batter in the springform using a spatula to smooth the top of the cake. Place in the oven and pour boiling water around the cake pan so the water is half way up the side.
- Bake about 25 minutes until the cake begins to set on the sides and the center is still a little jiggly or an instant read thermometer registers 140F. A thin crust will have formed on the top similar to brownies.
- Remove from the water bath and cool the cake in the pan to room temperature. The cake can now be refrigerated in the pan, covered, for up to 4 days.
- Bring to room temperature for 1/2 hour before serving. If desired, sprinkle with some powdered sugar and serve with raspberries.
“Let’s face it, a creamy chocolate cake does
a lot for a lot of people; it does for me.”